Sunday, January 23, 2011

Service and the Way We Treat Each Other....

With the passing of the MLK holiday, I thought that it would be a perfect time to reflect on my standards of living and how much more I could do for those less fortunate. I started a post a while ago and the text sat lifelessly on the screen. Everything I wrote seemed very trite and like a cliche you try out after just learning about similes and metaphors. Yes, we should help others, but who has time for that between kids, work, commuting, and grocery shopping.  And yes, on Saturdays I should wake up and travel to the shelter and help feed some homeless people who could really use the food, but Saturday is my only day to sleep in, do an intense work out, and study for the GMAT....

and then I listen to myself sounding like the type of American the rest of the world despises...


I am truly too stuck in the fog of my own life, more often than not, to realize how amazing my life actually is. I don't mean I am SO amazing and perfect and stuck up. I mean that I am blessed and don't do enough to spread those blessings around.

My husband recently showed me a snippet of a TED lecture that was such an awakening. If you don't know what TED talks/ lectures are, you should look them up. Jill Bolte Taylor got me within two minutes of this clip.The clip is approximately 20 minutes long, and I know that is a long time to try and stay on some crazy lady's blog- but this is worth it. Dr. Taylor describes the difference between the different sides of the brain and how human behavior might be a little kinder if we were able to tap into the right hemisphere more often. This epiphany was brought on by a stroke and her recovery....


I have added her to my personal list of heroes.... I think she is amazing and I would love to meet her and tell her so.

No comments:

Post a Comment